Treasures of Kyoto, three centuries of Rinpa creation
From 26 October 2018 to 27 January 2019
The Rinpa School was born in 1615, when Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu granted Hon'ami Kōetsu, the famous calligrapher, potter and lacquerer, permission to settle with a small community of artisans in Takagamine, a village north of Kyoto.
For three hundred years, the movement has been illustrated by innovative personalities such as Sōtatsu, Kōrin or Kamisaka Sekka who are not only dedicated to painting but also to textiles, lacquers and ceramics, with the aim of bringing beauty in everyday life.
These artists, who lived at different times, were not related, nor teacher to student, but a spiritual and aesthetic relationship, especially through the appreciation of the classical beauty of the Heian era ( 794-1185).
They were inspired by the works of their predecessors by drawing from the repertoire of traditional techniques and themes in a very personal way that allowed the renewal of the Rinpa aesthetics until the twentieth century.